Updated: May 19, 2021 by Owen Richardson
You have everything you need at home to recreate the coffee shop experience — a coffee maker, a big fat mug, and a laptop, of course — but that flat-looking cappuccino you’ve been making has you wishing to jump to the nearest Starbucks. Because without that lovely foam, a cappuccino is just coffee with milk, which, meh. Lucky for you, however, there’s a way to remedy that — and it’s getting your very own milk frother.
Milk frothers are readily available on the market for affordable prices. But with so many options floating about, how can you know which one is really the best?
That’s where we come in. After careful research with the perfect cup of coffee in mind, we selected and reviewed the best milk frothers on the market. Our favorite models are affordable, easy to use, and won’t take up much space on your kitchen counter, but will become a fun part of your morning routine!
Make sure you read our handy buying guide at the end of this article, where we’ll cover the main factors you should consider when deciding which milk frother is the best option for you!
|HadinEEon Milk Frother & Steamer||$$|
|Aerolatte Handheld Milk Frother||$|
|Bellemain Hand Pump Milk Frother||$|
Our Best Milk Frother Reviews
1. HadinEEon Milk Frother & Steamer: Best Electric Milk Frother
“The large capacity of the HadinEEon makes it an ideal choice for larger households, as it’ll make enough foamy milk for everyone.”
Our favorite electric-corded milk frother is the HadinEEon for its beautiful results in frothing and steaming, versatile features, and amazing warranty that will make you feel confident about your purchase. This milk frother works on both hot and cold milk, so you’ll be able to concoct your favorite cafe beverages in both summer and winter! The large capacity of the HadinEEon makes it an ideal choice for larger households, as it’ll make enough foamy milk for everyone.
- The HadinEEon milk frother offers excellent performance, and will make consistently velvety, dense, and foamy milk throughout years of use. It’s also quite quick, only taking about a minute to heat and froth the milk before you pour it into your cup. This makes it the ideal milk frother for hectic days, where you need your coffee, fast! Plus, this little machine operates quite quietly, so you won’t have to worry about it making noise in the morning.
- This milk frother is versatile and really easy to use. In addition to choosing between cold and hot frothing (it heats up the milk itself), you can also choose between frothing and steaming. All you need to do is pour the milk inside and click on your desired setting! The detachable jug allows for easy, precise pouring.
- Cleaning the HadinEEon is surprisingly easy, too. The detachable jug is coated with a non-stick material which will take a second to wash.
“It’s also quite quick, only taking about a minute to heat and froth the milk before you pour it into your cup.”
- We also quite liked the look of the HaddinEEon. The sleek, elegant, black design will make it a nice aesthetic addition to your kitchen counter, and a sweet idea for a gift.
- But the HaddinEEon isn’t just pretty — it’s tough, too. This sturdy milk frother comes with an incredible 3-year warranty, one of the best on the market, and a 1-year money-back guarantee!
- Lastly, the HaddinEEon has a 4.4 oz capacity for frothing and a 10.1 oz capacity for heating. This makes it an excellent option for larger households, so you won’t have to froth milk multiple times.
- Since the markers indicating the volume are on the inside of the jug, they’re a bit hard to read. This may lead you to accidentally overfill the mug, which may lead to the milk spilling as it froths and grows.
- Another thing to keep in mind is that while this milk frother is affordable and offers great value for your money, it is the priciest of our recommendations.
2. Aerolatte Handheld Milk Frother: Best Battery-Powered Milk Frother
“The Aerolatte is quite affordable, and can be used on both hot and cold milk.”
The Aerolatte is our favorite battery-powered milk frother — it’s lightweight, easy to use, and a great portable choice. In fact, this model comes with a travel storage case, so you can pack it and take it with you anywhere you go. The Aerolatte is quite affordable, and can be used on both hot and cold milk.
- The Aerolatte is incredibly easy to use. All you need to do is to submerge it into a glass of milk and hold the power button for 30-60 seconds, depending on your desired level of foaminess. Cleaning it is just as easy — you can just wash the whisk by hand with soapy water.
- This milk frother is a nice portable choice as it’s compact and lightweight. Plus, as it’s battery-powered, you’ll never need to look for an outlet to use it.
“In addition to frothing milk, you can also use the Aerolatte to whisk perfect scrambled eggs, make a foamy mousse, or mix a light salad dressing.”
- Although the Aerolatte looks simple, it actually offers quite a bit of versatility — it will be a great ally in your kitchen! In addition to frothing milk, you can also use the Aerolatte to whisk perfect scrambled eggs, make a foamy mousse, or mix a light salad dressing.
- Lastly, this milk frother is made to last. The spiral whisking head and shaft of the Aerolatte are made from stainless steel, which is resilient to rust and corrosion. Plus, the Aerolatte is backed by a 2-year warranty.
- One drawback of this milk frother is that it can make a bit of a mess. As you use it on top of an open glass/mug of milk, you may end up with some milk flying around.
- Another issue with the Aerolatte is that the shaft — while durable — is quite thin, and may bend over time. In such a case, you can claim your warranty to get it fixed.
3. Bellemain Hand Pump Milk Frother: Best Stovetop Milk Frother
“The Bellemain offers great value for your money — although it’s our cheapest recommendation, you can always depend on it to make long-lasting froth!”
The Bellemain is the best stovetop milk frother — it’s durable, easy to use, and an ideal choice for camping, because you can use it to both heat up and froth the milk. The Bellemain offers great value for your money — although it’s our cheapest recommendation, you can always depend on it to make long-lasting froth!
- The Bellemain is a great portable option since it doesn’t require batteries or electricity. We especially recommend it if you enjoy camping and like having some warm frothed milk for your coffee. As it’s made of stainless steel, you can place the milk frother on a stovetop to first heat up the milk, and then use the pump to manually froth the milk to your desired consistency.
- In fact, the stainless steel makes the Bellemain a sturdy, durable choice. It can survive your rucksack for sure! Plus, it comes with a 2-year warranty, which is a rare find in its price range.
- The Bellemain is quite versatile. You can use this frother on both hot and cold milk. Plus, like the Aerolatte, you can use the Bellemain to make various other recipes, including hot chocolate, cocktails, eggnog, and perfectly uniform salad dressings.
- This milk frother can hold quite a bit of milk, which makes a great choice for multiple coffee-drinkers at once. It can hold up to 14 oz of liquid, but you should only fill up to 7 oz for frothing, as the milk will rise. Still, 7 oz is quite enough for topping up several cups of cappuccino!
- Using and maintaining the Bellemain is quite straightforward. To froth the milk, you manually pump it for about 30 seconds, until you reach your desired consistency. For cleaning, you can wash it by hand or simply place it in a dishwasher.
- While the stainless steel components are very durable, the plastic bits on the plunger may get disfigured if you pump it, uh, too energetically.
- Speaking of energy, this frother will take some elbow grease to froth.
Choosing The Best Milk Frother
Now that you’ve looked at the top milk frothers on the market, you may be wondering which option is the best choice for you. Read on to our handy buying guide for some help to make up your mind:
Are you on the go a lot? If so, you may want to choose a milk frother which is lightweight and compact. The Aerolatte is really light and, since it comes with a travel case, it will easily fit into your overnight suitcase.
“If you’re looking for a portable frother to take camping, the Bellemain is a better choice.”
However, the Aerolatte is not quite as sturdy to withstand hours of being cramped in a rucksack. If you’re looking for a portable frother to take camping, the Bellemain is a better choice. It’s sturdier, and can also be used to heat the milk before frothing it.
Consider whether you want a frother that only froths, or one that can also steam and heat up the milk. All you need now is a great coffee maker, and you can be your own barista and make your own lattes and cappuccinos.
Additionally, think about whether you’d like to have a frother that can be used to froth other drinks and meals, such as eggs, mousse, salad dressings and so on. Some milk frothers have this capability!
Of course, if you’re also getting yourself a new coffee maker, you may want to consider getting one with a built-in milk frother and steamer.
Q: Can you froth cold milk?
A: You can froth cold milk! Frothing is the process of aerating milk (inserting bubbles into it) so as to create a rich foam texture. This can be done with cold milk with any frother that has cold-frothing capabilities — including each one of our recommendations.
Q: What kind of milk is best to froth?
A: The best milk to froth is skimmed, non-fat, and 2% milk. The first two options contain very little fat, which allows more bubbles to enter the milk without the fat weighing them down, making airy foam. However, their taste is quite light; if you’re looking for a creamier taste, go for 2% milk — it also foams effortlessly.
Q: Can I use a frother on non-dairy milk?
A: You can use frother on non-dairy milk, yes. Soy, almond, rice, cashew — and all these other types of milk will froth. However, they will lose bubbles quite quickly since these types of milk have a different protein structure from dairy milk, which fails to support milk bubbles for too long.
The best electric milk frother is the HaddinEEon thanks to its versatile use and beautifully foamy results. The HaddinEEon is an excellent choice for large households — it has multiple settings, a large capacity, and is quite durable — which means that it can withstand years of frequent use without breaking down. In fact, it has an amazing 3-year warranty!
Our favorite battery-powered frother is the Aerolatte. If you’re looking for a lightweight, easy to use, and affordable way to froth, you’ll love the Aerolatte! It will require no work on your part — you just submerge the frother and press a button until your milk is frother to your desire. Plus, you can use it on more than milk! However, unlike our other recommendations, the Aerolatte can’t warm up milk — it can only froth it.
The Bellemain is the best stovetop milk frother, and it offers great value for your money — it’s the most budget-friendly frother out of our recommendations, but it makes wonderful velvety foam every time! Plus, the Bellemain’s stainless steel build makes it quite durable. Although the Aerolatte is a good portable choice as well, we prefer the Bellemain for travel such as camping, because you can use it to heat up the milk too, and won’t depend on batteries for use.
Hopefully, you were able to find the best milk frother for your home amongst our recommendations. If not, at least you now have a better idea of what you’re looking for! For more information about each product, follow their title links.