The Best Automatic Espresso Machines for Ultimate ConvenienceTable Of Contents
You have probably tested all kinds of espresso out there, and if you are convinced no other shot is better than a barista-made one, you may be wrong. Get yourself the best automatic espresso machine and watch the magic happen right inside your kitchen.
Also, imagine the convenience of never having to line up or drive a couple of miles just to get your shot of espresso. Some clever automatic machines even offer way more than that. But you may never find out until you find the best one for you and give it a try.
How To Choose The Right Automatic Espresso Machine For You
Espresso machines can be quite expensive, with some reaching up to $2,500. While you could find a good option, it might not necessarily meet your specific requirements. The solution? Equip yourself with information before shopping, ensuring you can pinpoint the option that best fits your needs. Here are some key considerations to help guide your decision:
- Type of Automatic Espresso Machine:
- Super-Automatic: These machines handle the entire espresso-making process, including grinding the coffee beans and frothing the milk. These machines handle the entire espresso-making process with the touch of a button. Super-automatic machines are known for their convenience and are suitable for those who prefer a hands-off approach but might offer less customization.
- Fully Automatic Espresso Machines: These machines share similarities with super-automatic ones but may not include advanced features like automatic milk frothing. They still offer a high level of automation in the brewing process.
- Semi-Automatic: These machines automate key elements such as temperature and pressure to achieve consistent outcomes, although they still necessitate some input from your end. You are able to adjust factors like grind size, coffee dosage, and milk froth. They offer more customization but demand more involvement.
- Ease of Use:
- Consider the user interface. Look for machines with intuitive controls and displays that are easy to navigate, especially if you’re new to espresso making.
- How versatile would you like your automatic espresso machine to be? Some only brew basic beverages such as Americano. Others are capable of brewing different espresso drink styles such as lattes, cappuccinos, macchiato, and more. Keep in mind that the more capable a unit is, the more expensive it is likely to be.
- Customization Options:
- Evaluate the machine’s ability to customize coffee strength, volume, temperature, and milk froth texture. A machine with a range of options allows you to tailor your coffee to your liking.
- Grinder Quality:
- If the machine includes a built-in grinder, assess its quality. A burr grinder is preferable for a consistent grind size, which is crucial for good espresso extraction.
- Cleaning and Maintenance:
- Check how easy it is to clean the machine. Some models have self-cleaning features, removable components, and dishwasher-safe parts, making maintenance more straightforward.
- Size and Capacity:
- Consider the machine’s size and the available space in your kitchen. Also, assess the water reservoir and bean hopper capacity to ensure they meet your daily usage requirements.
- Brand Reputation:
- Research the reputation of the brand and read reviews from other users. Established brands with positive feedback often indicate reliable and durable machines.
- Set a budget and explore machines within that range. While higher-end models may offer more features, there are also quality options available at various price points.
- Coffee Quality:
- Focus on the quality of espresso the machine produces. Look for features like the type of extraction process and grinder capabilities that contribute to a rich and flavorful coffee.
- Additional Features:
- Consider any additional features such as programmable settings, cup warmer, pre-heating functions, or the ability to save favorite drink preferences.
- Warranty and Support:
- Check the warranty offered by the manufacturer and the availability of customer support. A reliable warranty can provide peace of mind in case of any issues.
By carefully considering these factors, you can select an automatic espresso machine that aligns with your preferences, lifestyle, and budget.
Presently, there are numerous options available in the market. Each year, I assist coffee enthusiasts like yourself in choosing a satisfying option by narrowing down choices based on factors such as operation mode, programmability, design, capacity, and more. Come along as I guide you through the top models currently available.
No other espresso machine has as good of a balance of features and is as well priced as the Breville BES870XL. In its category, it is unmatched primarily because of its brewing abilities. You can customize a drink and rest assured that the steam wand and integrated grinder will surpass your expectations. That’s why many coffee connoisseurs have fallen in love with it.
My Reviews of the Best Automatic Espresso Machines
Breville BES870XL Barista Express
Philips 3200 Series Fully Automatic
De’Longhi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super Automatic
Breville BES990BSS Oracle Touch Fully Automatic
Gaggia Magenta Prestige Super Automatic
Saeco Xelsis Super Automatic
1. Breville BES870XL Barista Express
Breville BES870XL Barista Express
- 15-bar pressure
- 67-ounce water tank
- 32-ounce bean hopper
- Manual steam wand
Breville leads in building machines that have revolutionized the coffee brewing experience. Breville BES870XL is a perfect example: a simple, automatic unit that is so capable and affordable. What it lacks in the features it compensates for in its performance.
Give it a minute, and this machine will grind your beans to your preferred coarseness level. Its powerful conical burr grinder does this at your command, delivering freshly ground espresso coffee beans into the portafilter for custom brewing.
As the brewing carries on, its in-built pressure control mechanism makes sure the flavors are evenly drawn out during extraction. The Digital PID Temperature Controller takes over after that, ensuring water is delivered at the right temperature for optimum extraction.
The presence of custom controls means you can fine-tune your shot to your liking. You can do this by adjusting the dose and grind size. However, you will have to steam and froth the milk; the machine won’t do it for you.
- Makes espressos, lattes, and cappuccinos
- Fairly priced
- Attractive stainless steel design
- Built-in grinder makes coffee ground dosing simple
- Easy to disassemble and clean
- Requires patience and a bit of effort to operate manually
Breville BES870XL is unrivaled in its category. You get excellent performance from its grinder and steam wand and an exciting brewing experience. This is what makes it the best seller.Check Amazon
2. Philips 3200 Series Fully Automatic Espresso Machine
Philips 3200 Series Fully Automatic Espresso Machine
- 15-bar pressure
- Removable brewing group
- Automatic frothing system
- Uses touch display
- 61-ounce water tank
- 8.8-ounce bean hopper
Philips 3200 is one of the few compact espresso machines you can put to use straight out of the box. That’s because it’s fully automated and easy to operate. Ever wished to experience exceptional aromatic coffees with zero hassles? If so, look no further!
Nearly everything about this unit surpasses normal expectations, beginning with the ceramic burr grinder rated to make you well over 20,000 cups of delicious beverages. On top of that, there’s a total of 12 grind settings you can adjust to your specific brewing preferences.
Speaking of preferences, the unit lets you personalize your drink further to your liking. You can modify the temperature, milk and coffee volume, and brew strength to levels you like. The automatic frothing system only intensifies the experience by topping off your brew with a silky-smooth, creamy layer of milk froth.
At first, it may seem a little overwhelming figuring out the controls on the display, but it won’t be long before you fully master operating the unit.
- Makes espresso cappuccino, hot water, latte, coffee, americano, and macchiato
- No tubes milk system makes cleaning this machine a breeze
- Makes a variety of coffee drinks
- Easy to personalize your drink to your liking
- Comes with the AquaClean water filter that lets you use the machine at its optimum for long without hiccups
- Aroma seal that keeps the freshness of your beans intact
- Dishwasher safe
- No locking mechanism for the milk container so you have to be extra careful while handling the machine
- Makes a bit of noise, but it’s nothing you can’t handle
Fully automatic espresso machines hardly get better than this. There are plenty of features to make your brewing experience exciting, making this the best super-automatic espresso machine under $1,000.Check Amazon
3. De’Longhi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super Automatic Espresso & Coffee Machine
De’Longhi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super Automatic Espresso & Coffee Machine
- 15-bar pressure
- Super Automatic
- Extractable brew group
- 7-ounce bean hopper
- 60-ounce water tank
- Patented cappuccino system
De’Longhi ESAM3300 towers over its close rivals on so many fronts, from performance to affordability. Don’t let the price trick you into thinking it’s a basic unit. This espresso machine has plenty to offer, not to mention it’s Amazon’s choice.
Fitted with a conical burr grinder made out of steel, this coffee maker guarantees unmatched longevity, uniform grinds, and a consistent flavor. Add to that the 13 grind settings and a manual frother, and it becomes clear that this unit was designed to help you brew the perfect shot.
What the manual frother does is steam your milk to produce a creamy froth perfect for evenly textured beverages. Seeing that this wasn’t enough, De’Longhi fitted their in-house patented cappuccino systems into it, making it even easier for novices to brew a delicious shot.
That’s not all. Still, the manufacturer left you a few things to control so that you can customize the brew to your liking. That includes the beverage strength, shot length, and whether to brew one or two cups in a go.
- Versatile enough to make espresso, cappuccino, latte, flat white
- Lets you customize your brew by programming in your preferences
- Thanks to a detachable brew group, it is easy to clean and maintain
- Easy to operate rotary dials
- Relatively affordable
- Lots of care is needed to handle the unit, but this will not be a major issue once you master taking care of it
Looking at all this unit has to offer, it’s only fair to conclude that it provides the best value.Check Amazon
4. Breville BES990BSS Oracle Touch Fully Automatic Espresso Machine
Breville BES990BSS Oracle Touch Fully Automatic
- Optimal pressure control mechanism
- Automatic machine
- Micro-foam steam wand
- Touch-screen operated
- 8.9-ounce bean hopper
- 84-ounce water reservoir
- Programmable brewing
Breville got everything right with this espresso machine. You have a home appliance that makes cafe-quality drinks. It’s not even surprising to see this machine win the trust of many coffee lovers because who wouldn’t want to continually enjoy rich, flavorful coffee without shedding sweat?
Just like the commercial coffee machines, Breville BES990BSS uses a conical burr grinder that multi-tasks. It grinds, doses, and then tamps up to 22 grams of coffee, making it possible for you to experience the complex and nuanced flavors of freshly ground beans.
Knowing you would want to tailor the drink to your unique taste, the manufacturer made it possible for the user to adjust the temperature, coffee strength, and milk texture. Temperature and water control mechanisms equipped with this machine ensure you experience unmatched consistency and experience a perfectly balanced taste.
Also equipped into the unit is an automatic steam wand that textures milk to your desired taste and temperature, making sure you have that desired silky smooth, micro-foam layered drink we all cherish seeing in our lattes.
- Makes espresso, latte, long black, flat white, and cappuccino
- Designed to optimize the brewing process and yield rich, flavorful coffee
- Touch screen operation improves ease of use
- Built-in mechanism that regulates water pressure and temperature to produce a balanced drink
- You can customize different coffee styles to your liking and then save the setting under your name
- Very expensive
Clearly, Breville BES990BSS Oracle Touch Fully Automatic Espresso Machine was built to let you experience coffee that’s as good as one brewed by an award-winning barista. It succeeded, and that’s why it’s loved the world over and regarded as the one of the best super-automatic espresso machines.Check Amazon
View more espresso machines from Breville here.
5. Gaggia Magenta Prestige
Gaggia Magenta Prestige Super Automatic Coffee Machine
- Automatic milk frothing
- Removable brew group
- 60-ounce removable water tank
- 8.8-ounce bean hopper capacity
- Ceramic Burr Grinder
- Made In Italy
Gaggia is a well-known name in the world of coffee machines, and the Gaggia Magenta Prestige stands out as a finely crafted masterpiece. Its slim, modern design and exceptional coffee-making capabilities make it a great value.
One of the standout features is its user-friendly interface, featuring a beautiful, fully-colored touch screen. Navigating through drink options is intuitive – simply select the icon for your desired beverage. You can then customize your drink by adjusting parameters such as coffee strength, milk volume, and temperature.
The machine offers five different levels of coffee intensity, allowing you to control the amount of coffee grounds used during brewing. A handy memo function prompts you to save new settings after brewing, so if you’ve created a coffee masterpiece you will easily be able to recreate it.
What sets this machine apart is its attention to detail – it adds milk in the same order as a barista in a coffee shop would. This might seem trivial, but some machines can alter the taste by adding milk in the wrong order, think of a latte where the steamed and frothed milk are all at the bottom of the cup. The Gaggia Magenta Prestige ensures you get proper coffeehouse-quality beverages every time.
- Brewing options for 12 coffeehouse beverages
- Adjustable temperature, strength, and milk volume
- Easy-to-access water tank and bean hopper
- Aromatic Intensity
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Simple to operate
- Sleek design that’s sure to complement your kitchen decor
- Heavily plastic components
Among super-automatic espresso machines, few can rival the performance and reliability of the Gaggia Magenta Prestige, especially considering its price. Despite being predominantly made of plastic, its exceptional performance is sure to impress.Check Amazon
6. Saeco Xelsis Super Automatic Espresso Machine
Saeco Xelsis Super Automatic Espresso Machine
- Makes up to 15 coffee drinks
- Customizable profiles
- Touchscreen controls
- Custom water filter and self-cleaning mechanism
- 15.8-ounce bean hopper capacity
- 57-ounce water tank capacity
The first thing that strikes you about Saeco Xelsis is its sleek design. No stone was left unturned in making this machine pleasing to the eye. And the same goes for its performance. It’s a super-automatic espresso machine you can count on for sweet, delicious, flavorful beverages.
Saeco Xelsis’s LatteDuo technology is one of the best things you will ever see in an espresso machine. What it does is let you brew two cups at the same time, saving you time and effort.
As if that wasn’t enough, the unit offers up to 15 drinking options that match our different tastes. You can have people over and never worry that you may lack a brew for their unique coffee preferences. Even better, the machine has an equalizer that lets you customize your drink by adjusting the texture, strength, dose, and coffee to milk ratio.
Also, 12 adjustable settings have been put at your disposal so you can brew a drink of your choice, from bold espressos to the smoothest of coffees. Still, on versatility, you can have six members of your family create profiles they can personalize, and guess what? The coffee maker will save each of your settings and remember them next time you brew.
- Durable ceramic burr grinders rayed at 20,000 cups
- HygieSteam function cleans up the milk system with steam at your command
- Includes a custom water filter (Acquaclean) that enhances the taste of your coffee and prevents the build-up of scale
- Touchscreen controls make it easy to use the machine
- Relatively more expensive than its rivals
Even though it’s on the higher side of the price scale, Saeco Xelsis Super Automatic Espresso Machine has solid features that make it worth the cost. You will be investing in a coffee machine ready to brew all your coffee preferences to your satisfaction.Check Amazon
7. Jura E8 Automatic Coffee Machine
Jura E8 Automatic Coffee Machine
- 17 programmed beverages
- Aroma G3 grinder
- Adjustable microfoam texture
- Intuitive control panel
- CLEARYL Smart Water Filter included
- Integrated automatic cleaning and descaling
This Espresso Machine, styled with Swiss Modern Minimalism, is the priciest among the options listed. While it may not be suitable for everyone, its cost is justified by the added convenience and innovative technological features it offers.
The Jura E8 boasts 17 beverage options, providing extensive customization. You can adjust strength, volume, temperature, and milk froth texture to your preferences. The machine keeps track of favorites, conveniently displayed on the home screen. It excels in creating a perfectly balanced espresso with luxurious foam.
Enhanced coffee taste is ensured through Jura’s Professional Aroma Grinder and the Pulse Extraction Process. The Professional Aroma grinder enhances aroma and ensures a consistent grind quality. The quiet and efficient grinder contributes to a full-bodied coffee experience. The E8’s Pulse Extraction Process and intelligent preheating maximize flavor by delivering water in short bursts through coffee grounds, resulting in a rich crema without bitter notes.
The Jura E8 incorporates self-cleaning after every use, ensuring optimal performance. Additionally, it provides a reminder for a more thorough cleaning after 80 brews, simplifying maintenance. With its emphasis on user-friendly operation, easy maintenance, and delivering excellent coffee, this high-end machine is a convenient option for coffee enthusiasts.
- Easy to clean and maintain
- One Touch operation
- Professional aroma grinder
- Pulse Extraction Process
- Intelligent preheating
The Jura E8 is definitely a big splurge but the money spent will be saved in convenience and time. If you are getting coffee at coffee shops on a frequent basis and still want barista level coffee drinks without the extra expense and waits in line this would be the way to go.Check Amazon
8. Tchibo Single Serve Coffee Maker
- Built-in stainless steel burr grinder
- 5 grind settings
- One step bean to brew
- Easy to Clean
- BPA free
- Fully Automatic
- Boost option for increased intensity
The Tchibo bean-to-brew machine is a budget-friendly option that, while lacking some advanced features, keeps it simple and delivers a good espresso. This slim and compact machine easily produces either a single serve of espresso or coffee with minimal effort. Load your beans, choose the grind size, intensity, and serving size, press play, and enjoy a great cup of coffee at the touch of a button.
For those seeking convenience and a straightforward coffee or espresso experience without breaking the bank, this machine is an ideal choice. However, if your preference is for coffeehouse beverages, you’ll need to invest in a separate milk frother.
Cleaning the Tchibo is a breeze, adding to its user-friendly design. With simple and straightforward maintenance, you can keep the machine in top condition effortlessly. The uncomplicated cleaning process ensures that you spend less time on upkeep and more time enjoying your coffee.
- Slim, compact build
- 37 oz water tank with integrated filter
- Expandable coffee bean compartment (from 5.64 oz to 10.6 oz) with aroma protection seal
- German technology
- Easy to Clean
- Only makes espresso and Americanos
- No milk steaming/frothing abilities
The Tchibo is a straightforward machine, so if you’re anticipating coffeehouse beverages like lattes and cappuccinos that involve steamed or frothed milk, you’ll have to invest in a separate device.Check Amazon
Other Things To Consider When Buying An Automatic Espresso Machine
When buying an automatic espresso machine, there are several additional factors to consider to ensure you make an informed decision:
Dual Boiler or Single Boiler
A single boiler system has one boiler for both tasks, resulting in a brief pause between brewing and steaming. While more compact and cost-effective, it may cause a delay in the overall process.
On the other hand, a dual boiler system features separate boilers for brewing and steaming, allowing for simultaneous operation and faster transitions. Although larger and potentially more expensive, dual boilers are ideal for users who prioritize efficiency in preparing drinks like lattes and cappuccinos.
The noise level of an automatic espresso machine is an important consideration, especially for those who value a quiet environment, have a noise-sensitive household, or wish to maintain a peaceful atmosphere during coffee preparation.
Espresso machines can vary in the amount of noise they produce during operation. The noise typically comes from various components such as the grinder, pump, and steam wand.
Material and Build Quality
The material and build quality of an automatic espresso machine are critical factors influencing its durability and performance. Stainless steel is often preferred for its durability and resistance to corrosion, while plastic may be used in more budget-friendly options.
A well-built machine exhibits solid construction, attention to detail, and effective seals and gaskets to prevent leaks. The casing and exterior finishes, along with internal components like boilers and grinders, contribute to the overall build quality. The choice of materials impacts the machine’s longevity, ease of maintenance, and brand reputation plays a role in ensuring quality construction.
Water Filtration System
A water filtration system in an automatic espresso machine is crucial for enhancing coffee quality by removing impurities and contaminants. It improves taste, reduces scaling, and extends the machine’s lifespan by preventing mineral buildup.
These features, such as app connectivity, programmable settings, maintenance alerts, remote brewing, usage tracking, coffee recipes, user profiles, and smart home integration, enhance the coffee experience for seamless customization.
Steam Wand vs Built-in Milk Frothing System
For the uninitiated, a steam wand is what helps you prepare milk for cappuccinos, lattes, and other coffee beverages. Unfortunately, not all espresso machines come installed with one, instead of requiring you to buy it separately. An espresso machine fitted with a steam wand makes the brewing process easier, convenient, and fast.
You will also run into options with a built-in milk frothing system. While they make the brewing process simple and fast, the bigger disadvantage is that you don’t get to control the process as you would with a steam wand.
FAQs on Automatic Espresso Machines
How long do automatic espresso machines last?
Provided it is taken good care of, an espresso machine will last up to twenty years. However, some will only serve you for five years, no matter how well you look after them. You may be wondering why the duration varies. Well, other factors come into play, such as frequency of use, brand, machine type, and quality of components, just to name a few.
How do you use an automatic espresso machine?
First of all, understand that there are three variations of espresso machines: automatic, semi-automatic, and super-automatic. Each works differently, but what’s common amongst all of them is that they are not as difficult to use as their manual counterparts.
You may have to carry out a few steps before pressing the brew button for the automatic and semi-automatic models. As much as this may require a bit of effort and time, the upside is that you get control over the brewing process.
Super-automatic units do everything for you. You do nothing else but press a button and wait for the machine to pull the shot.
Are automatic espresso machines hard to maintain?
They may seem like sophisticated kitchen units best left to experts even for little maintenance tasks, but that’s not entirely true. In fact, it’s so easy to maintain this unit, particularly the fully automatic models. Most of them have an automatic program that you activate weekly to descale and clean your unit.
The majority of semi-automatic varieties come with a display where you are guided on how to take care of the machine when it comes to cleaning. However, you may have to do more manual work in cleaning and taking care of the automatic models.
And the Winner Is….
I hope you have found an option that suits your needs. I know they are all irresistible because each has something unique to offer. But an option that ticks nearly all the boxes and easily takes the crown for best automatic espresso machine is the Breville BES870XL Barista Express.
You don’t have to apply for a second mortgage to afford it; it’s well-priced. What’s more, the machine is capable, customizable, and just as efficient as the premium models. Even though it’s not as feature-rich as a semi-automatic model, it has enough to satisfy your brewing needs and preferences.